North and South Korea staged duelling war games Monday as threatening rhetoric from the rivals rose to the highest level since North Korea rained artillery shells on a South Korean island in 2010.
The 11-day military drills that started Monday involve 10,000 South Korean and about 3,000 American troops. Those coincide with two months of separate U.S.-South Korean field exercises that began March 1.
Also continuing are large-scale North Korean drills that Seoul says involve the army, navy and air force. The South Korean defence ministry said there have been no military activities it considers suspicious.
North Korea Makes Good on Threat, South Korea Mulls Acquiring Its Own Nukes
Thankfully Seoul hasn’t been turned into a “sea of flames” and there are no nuclear weapons hurdling toward the U.S., but the country cut off its hotline with South Korea on Monday and announced in the state-run newspaper that the 1953 armistice agreement that ended the Korean War is no more. “Today, on March 11, the armistice agreement is annulled,” said the paper. “Every citizen is a soldier.”
U.S., South Korea begin military exercises as North ends armistice
The latest exercises fall under the shadow of North Korea’s army declaring invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, an article in Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea’s ruling Workers’ Party, reported Monday.
With the declaration, Pyongyang made good on its threat to nullify the armistice.
What to make of N. Korea’s newest threat
North Korea has new weapons program
Korean War remembered North Korea previously warned it could carry out strikes against the United States and South Korea.
North Korea threats rise as South, U.S. start military drills
Pyongyang steps up rhetoric after warning of nuclear strike on United States
North Korea threatens pre-emptive nuclear strike as U.S., South begin war games
- advertisements -