Everyone Counts: Big brother to log drinking habits, waist size, weight, cholesterol, BMI… ‘Biggest data grab in NHS history’
- Data includes weight, cholesterol, BMI, family health history and pulse rate
- Doctors will be forced to reveal alcohol consumption and smoking status
- Privacy campaigners described it as ‘biggest data grab in NHS history’
- Part of new Health Service programme called Everyone Counts
- Officials insisted data will be anonymous and deleted after analysis
GPs are to be forced to hand over confidential records on all their patients’ drinking habits, waist sizes and illnesses.
The files will be stored in a giant information bank that privacy campaigners say represents the ‘biggest data grab in NHS history’.
They warned the move would end patient confidentiality and hand personal information to third parties.