- Vibrio vulcanificus has claimed the life of one 83-year-old man and infected three others
- The bacteria lives in warm, brackish saltwater
- The Center for Disease Control recommends avoiding contact between open wounds and sea water
- Skin infection often results in amputation of the affected area, and bloodstream infections can be fatal
One person has died and three others have become ill after contracting the so-called ‘flesh-eating’ bacteria the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana.
The person who died was an 83-year-old Terrebonne Parish man, who was infected when an open wound on his body came into contact with sea water while he was fishing in a boat.
Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally-occurring bacteria in warm sea water that belongs to the same family of bacterium as cholera and requires salt to live.
- advertisements -