HEADS UP: It’s global PMI Day, and this is our scorecard.
Japan kicked things off earlier with a horrible July PMI number. Things really pick up at 8:00 PM tonight with South Korean PMI.
The crucial Chinese PMI numbers come out at 9:00 PM and 10:30 PM.
At the beginning of each month, Markit, HSBC, RBC, JP Morgan and several other major data gathering institutions publish the latest local readings of the manufacturing purchasing managers index (PMI) for countries around the world.
PMI is one of the best leading indicators of the economy.
Each reading is based on surveys of hundreds of companies. Read more about it at Markit.
These are not the most closely followed data points. However, the power of the insights is unparalleled. Jim O’Neill, Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management, believes the PMI numbers are among the most reliable economic indicators in the world.
- Japan: Markit/JMMA Manufacturing PMI – 47.9, down from 49.9 in June
- Netherlands: NEVI Netherlands Manufacturing PMI – 8:00 PM EST, 48.9 in June
- South Korea: HSBC South Korea Manufacturing PMI – 8:00 PM EST, 49.4 in June
- China: Official PMI – 9:00 PM EST, 50.2 in June
- Taiwan: HSBC Taiwan Manufacturing PMI – 10:00 PM EST, 49.2 in June
- Vietnam: HSBC Vietnam PMI – 10:00 PM EST, 46.6 in June
- China: HSBC China Manufacturing PMI – 10:30 PM EST, 48.2 in June
- Indonesia: HSBC Indonesia Manufacturing PMI – 11:00 PM EST, 50.2 in June
- India: HSBC India Manufacturing PMI – 1:00 AM EST, 55.0 in June
- Russia: HSBC Russia Manufacturing PMI – 1:00 AM EST, 51.0 in June
- Ireland: NCB Republic of Ireland Manufacturing PMI – 2:00 PM EST, 53.1 in June
- Poland: HSBC Poland Manufacturing PMI – 3:00 AM EST, 48.0 in June
- Turkey: HSBC Turkey Manufacturing PMI – 3:00 AM EST, 51.4 in June
- Spain: Markit Spain Manufacturing PMI – 3:15:00 AM EST, 41.1 in June
- Czech Republic: HSBC Czech Republic Manufacturing PMI – 3:30 AM EST, 49.4, in June
- Italy: Markit / ADACI Italy Manufacturing PMI – 3:45 AM EST, 44.6 in June
- France: Markit France Manufacturing PMI – 3:50 AM EST, 45.2 in June
- Germany: Markit / BME Germany Manufacturing PMI – 3:55 AM EST, 45.0 in June
- Eurozone – Markit Eurozone Manufacturing PMI – 4:00 AM EST, 45.1 in June
- Greece: Markit Greece Manufacturing PMI – 4:00 AM EST, 40.1 in June
- UK: Markit / CIPS UK Construction PMI – 4:30 AM EST, 48.6 in June
- Australia: AiG and PwC PMI – 5:00 AM EST, 47.2 in June
- Brazil: HSBC Brazil Manufacturing PMI – 9:00 AM EST, 48.5 in June
- US: Markit US Manufacturing PMI – 9:00 AM EST, 52.5 in June
- Canada: RBC Canada Manufacturing PMI – 9:30 AM EST, 54.8 in June
- Mexico: HSBC Mexico Manufacturing PMI – 10:30 AM EST, 55.9 in June
- GLOBAL: JPMorgan Global Manufacturing PMI – 11:00 AM EST, 48.9 in June