- Officials say leader died ‘in great suffering’ and said ‘I do not want to die’
- Hugo Chavez will lie in state for two days until state funeral on Friday
- Weeping vice president Nicolas Maduro announced death on television
- New leader claimed Chavez had been ‘infected by imperialist enemies’
- Two U.S. diplomats expelled from Caracas ‘for plotting against government’
- Army and police deployed on streets amid fears of spiralling violence
- Analysts say Leftist leader had ‘amassed private fortune of $2 billion’
- Iran declares day of mourning for former ally who ‘loathed U.S imperialism’
President Hugo Chavez mouthed ‘I don’t want to die… please don’t let me die’ just before he suffered a heart attack and died, it was revealed today.
The head of Venezuela’s presidential guard said the 58-year-old leader, who was battling cancer, died after ‘great suffering’.
It came as Russia’s communist leader called for an investigation into claims the U.S.had ‘infected its enemies in Latin America with the disease’.
Gennady Zyuganov said: ‘This was far from a coincidence. How did it happen that six leaders of Latin American countries which had criticised US policies and tried to create an influential alliance in order to be independent and sovereign states, fell ill simultaneously with the same disease?’
- advertisements -