Michael Garnett ‏@MichaelGarnett
Meteorite shook Chelyabinsk this morning. Shook my whole building and woke me up!
Damn these are huge…
UFO over Russia? Video of meteorite shower that stirred panic in Urals region
Meteorite crash in Russia: UFO fears spark panic in the Urals (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteorite shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones have stopped working.
According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.
Moment meteorite exploded in the sky above Russian town as doctors treat 500 people injured when sonic boom shattered windows
- Large object flashed across the sky at 9.20am local time
- Pictures show a streak of smoke followed by several bright blasts of flames
- Russian Ministry of Emergencies says 524 people have been injured
- 82 of the injured are children and two are in intensive care
- Landed in a lake near Chebarkul, a neighbouring town
- Three people had been hospitalised in a serious condition
- 6,000 square feet of a roof at a zinc factory collapsed
- Same day as Asteroid 2012 DA14, which is due to skim Earth’s orbit tonight
CNN: Meteor injures 725 in Russia
Moscow (CNN) – A meteor streaked through the skies above Russia’s Urals region Friday morning, before exploding with a flash and boom that shattered glass in buildings and left hundreds of people hurt.
The number of injured continues to rise as new reports come in from across a wide area.
As of noon Moscow time, as many as 725 people had sought medical help, according to the state-run RIA Novosti news agency.
Deputy Health Minister Igor Kagramanyan said 571 people had sought medical help, with 34 of them hospitalized, according to state-news agency Itar-Tass.