Proof of manipulation: Shill forgets to remove template generator after posting – 2 year old account is immediately deleted
I would add this to the pile of interesting information about shills which cannot be 100 percent proven true, such as shill confessions. Here are a few confessions that we found so far:
- “Once we isolate key people, we look for people we know are in their upstream — people that they read posts from, but who themselves are less influential. We then either start flame wars with bots to derail the conversations that are influencing influential people, or else send off specific tasks for sockpuppets (changing this wording of an idea here; cause an ideological split there; etc).”
- Fracking shill whistleblower spills the beans on Fracking Internet PR
- What I learned selling my Reddit accounts
- Confession of Hillary Shill from /r/SandersForPresident
- Shill whistleblower, claims to have derailed discussions and called people anti-semites, ruined reputations of users by searching their account history, etc.
- Whistleblower and subsequent investigation: Paid trolls on /r/Bitcoin
- Alleged paid shill leaks details of organization and actions.
- Redditor comes clean about being paid to chat on Reddit. They work to promote a politician, although they don’t specify which one. (Admins claim this wasn’t a shill)
- User infiltrates Israeli shill operation and dumps evidence. These shills specifically target certain users for downvotes and upvotes. A perusal of one targeted redditor’s history is very good evidence that he indeed is being targeted for downvotes on /r/worldnews
- /r/netsec talks about gaming reddit via sockpuppets and how online discourse is (easily) manipulated – “We used sock puppets in /r/netsec last year”
That is in contrast to the mountain of verified information on internet shills, which can be found at the Astroturfing Information Megathread.85 views