AP - Libyaâ€™s opposition battled for military and diplomatic advantage against Moammar Gadhafiâ€™s embattled regime on Thursday, winning official recognition from France and hitting government forces with heavy weapons on the road to the capital.
France became the first country to formally recognize the rebelsâ€™ newly created Interim Governing Council, saying it planned to exchange ambassadors after President Nicolas Sarkozy met with two representatives of the group based in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.
The international Red Cross said dozens of civilians have been wounded or killed in recent days in grueling battles between Gadhafiâ€™s army and the opposition movement trying to oust him.
The fighting intensified on the main front line between the Mediterranean oil port of Ras Lanouf and the city of Bin Jawwad, where the rebels appeared to be have established better supply lines bringing heavy weapons like multiple-rocket launcher trucks and small tanks to the battle.
Youssef Fittori, a major in the opposition force, said a mix of defectors from Gadhafiâ€™s special forces and civilain rebels were fighting government forces about 12 miles west of Ras Lanouf on the main coastal road to Bin Jawwad.
â€œToday, God willing, we will take Bin Jawwad. We are moving forward,â€ he said.
Red Cross President Jakob Kellenberger said local doctors over the past few days saw a sharp increase in casualties arriving at hospitals in Ajdabiya, in the rebel-held east, and Misrata, in government territory.
Both places saw heavy fighting and air strikes, he said.
Kellenberger said 40 patients were treated for serious injuries in Misrata and 22 dead were taken there.
He said the Red Cross surgical team in Ajdabiya operated on 55 wounded over the past week and â€œcivilians are bearing the brunt of the violence.â€
He said the aid organization is cut off from access in western areas including Tripoli but believes those are â€œeven more severely affected by the fightingâ€ than eastern rebel-held territories.
Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo reported Thursday that it lost direct contact a week ago with its correspondent who was covering the unrest in Libya, and the paper said it feared he had been taken prisoner along with another unnamed journalist and a Libyan guide.
The newspaper, one of Brazilâ€™s largest, said it had been receiving until Sunday what it characterized as â€œindirect informationâ€ indicating Andrei Netto was alright in the region of Zawiya.
But on Wednesday the newspaper said it received information suggesting Netto had been taken prisoner by Libyan government forces, and that a Libyan official said the information was â€œprobably correct.â€
Netto entered Libya on Feb. 19 from the border with Tunisia and worked his way toward Zawiya, the newspaper said. He is the publicationâ€™s Paris correspondent.
Brazilâ€™s government, its embassy in Libya, the Red Cross and other groups are trying to find out more about Netto and to determine he is safe, the newspaper said.